XQ Sponsored PSAT/SAT
As Vista High continues to “Rethink the High School Experience” with our students, we want to ensure that they are on the right path to meet their individual goals and to be prepared for college, career, and their future lives.
We understand that the courses in which our students enroll are the first and best place to develop the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to thrive in their post-high school lives; however, grades usually reflect the understanding of the content more than the development of skills and dispositions needed to succeed in career, college, and life.
Therefore, working with our XQ partners, we are offering the SAT Suite of Assessments to our students.
Vista High School is working to ensure that each and every student can move into their future prepared to succeed.
This year the following College Board SAT Suite of Assessments will be provided to our students:
1) PSAT/NMSQT for 11th grade students on Wednesday, October 16, 2019
2) PSAT 9 for 9th grade students on Thursday, October 17, 2019
3) SAT school day for 11th grade students on Wednesday, March 25, 2020
4) PSAT 9 & PSAT 10 in April 2020 (Dates TBD)
Bell Schedule for Fall PSAT
PSAT/NMSQT Wed 10/16 (11th grade) & PSAT 9 Thurs 10/17 (9th grade)
**All other students arrive at 11:30 for lunch.**
What is the PURPOSE of taking these assessments?
Provide students with a series of opportunities to better understand how the development of certain skills are progressing through their high school years. Additionally, the results they obtain will help them find resources and tutorials related to their specific needs and desires.
What is the TIMELINE for these assessments?
- SAT 8/9 – All ninth grade students will take this version in the FALL and SPRING of their freshmen year. This will give students a baseline measure to help them determine what can be done through their high school years to best prepare for college, career, and life.
- XQ Sponsored: 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20
- SAT 10 – All tenth graders will take this version in the SPRING of their sophomore year. This will give students the chance to see what progress they’ve made based on their efforts. Additionally, they will then be able to determine what their next steps are to help them prepare for the PSAT in their Junior year.
- XQ Sponsored: 2018-19, 2019-20
- PSAT / NMSQT – Vista High recommends that JUNIORS take this assessment in the FALL semester. Student scores on this exam may qualify students for scholarships!
- SAT – Vista High recommends that JUNIORS and SENIORS take this assessment and send their scores to the colleges they anticipate they may want to attend. These scores will be used by colleges and universities as one component to determine whether to accept the student into their institution.
What are the BENEFITS of taking these assessments?
CAN OPEN DOORS TO COLLEGE
The SAT is one admission test accepted by all US colleges. By providing students with multiple opportunities to become familiar with these assessments. Students can opt in to Student Search Service which will allow them to receive free information about admission and financial aid from colleges, universities, and scholarship programs.
BUILD SKILLS from the feedback generated by the assessment performance
Students receive feedback from each assessment. This will help students know when they are on course to succeed in college and/or career. They will better understand their strengths and the areas in need of development. Students can work with their teachers and on their own to ensure their learning experiences provide them with what they need.
PROVIDES STUDENTS WITH TARGETED PRACTICE ON KHAN ACADEMY
The feedback students receive will also link them with individualized SAT study resources based on their test results. Rather than being left to find resources on their own, access to Khan Academy practice will help meet their individual needs.
HELPS STUDENTS EXPLORE FUTURE CAREERS
Students also have access to visit Roadtrip Nation which will help them to create free career roadmaps based on their interests. This site also helps them to find colleges which have specific majors focused on helping students prepare for these types of careers.