Flags: There may be images/galleries that failed to load,
Location and Hours
Device issues and checkouts are handled at the Library Annex from 8-8:25, during PantherTime & Nutrition Break, and after school until 3:45.
Devices and Replacement Costs
Calculator, graphing: $115
Calculator, scientific: $12
Power cord: $51
WiFi Hotspot: $240
Student ResponsibilitiesIt is the student’s responsibility to check out any needed devices and to return all materials originally issued (the barcode must exactly match the barcode listed on the checkout record) in good condition.
Students are expected to charge the Chromebook each night, and bring it to and from school ready to use. Chargers should not be brought to school; lockers with charging capability are available in the Library if on-campus charging is needed.
Chromebooks, charging adapters, and hot spots can be kept over the summer for returning students; all other devices must be returned prior to the last day of school.
Per Board policy, it is the student’s responsibility to pay to repair/replace damaged, stolen or lost devices.
VUSD WiFi Hotspot information
Cost Protection Plan information
Keeping the Chromebook up-to-date
1. What is a Chromebook? What can it do? A Chromebook is a “laptop” that runs on Google’s web-based Chrome operating system. Its primary function is to connect to the internet. While there is very limited storage space available, most documents and apps exist in the cloud when using a Chromebook.
2. Since you’re using Google Apps for Education will Google sell or share student information? The information in Google Apps for Education is private and will not be shared or sold.
3. Can our student bring in a personally owned laptop or Chromebook instead of using the school issued Chromebook? Yes, but a student-owned device can only connect to the VUSD Guest wifi which has limited access. Also, we are unable to offer the MDCPP or deactivate use if a personal device is lost/stolen.
4. Will students be expected to use the Chromebook for school-related activities only? Chromebooks are issued for academic purposes and students will be able to access any web based resource allowed through the school’s internet filter, no matter where it is used. Since the Chromebook is a District owned device, the Student Acceptable Use/Responsibility Agreement is in effect at any time the Chromebook is used, whether at school or home.
5. What happens if my student’s Chromebook gets stolen or damaged? Who will be responsible for that? If the Chromebook is stolen, the student is responsible for the full cost of replacement and will be issued another device. If the Chromebook is damaged, the student will receive a replacement device and be charged for replacement parts.
VUSD offers a Chromebook Protection Plan that can be purchased annually online or at the Finance Office for $20 within two weeks of being issued the device. This covers two incidents of accidental damage or theft per school year. See http://vhs.vistausd.org/student-life/library/chromebook-info for more information.
6. Are Chromebooks uniquely assigned to a specific student? Yes. Each Chromebook has a unique serial number that is assigned to a student’s ID number.
7. Will my student be required to return the Chromebook at the end of each school year? No. Chromebooks will be assigned to each new incoming student who may keep it all four years, including over breaks. Students are required to return the Chromebook upon transferring to another school site or prior to graduation.
8. What happens if my student’s Chromebook is not working? Will a loaner be given another one to use? If the Chromebook is not working, the student needs to go to the Library Annex before school, during Nutrition Break/PantherTime or after school for a repair request and will be issued a replacement device.
9. What will my student do if we don’t have wifi access at home? There are various locations in the community that offer free wifi access. VHS also has wireless hotspots available to borrow.
10. Will there be charging stations at the school? Charging lockers are available at the school in the library. Students will need to charge their Chromebooks each night to be ready for school the next day. We do NOT recommend bringing the charger to school.
11. Will you be able to secure the internet connection when my student uses the Chromebook outside of school? Yes. Access to any web-based resource goes through the District’s internet filter, no matter where it is used.
12. How will inappropriate use of the Chromebook be addressed? Students using the District issued Chromebook in school and outside of school are expected to comply with Student Acceptable Use/Responsibility Agreement. Violations of any of these policies or agreements are subject to student disciplinary action under the school's Student Discipline policy.
13. Will the school be able to see everything that my student does through the Chromebook? Monitoring of student activities on the Chromebook can only occur when used in the school. However, web content filtering software is always on, whether being used on or off campus.